The city of Freehaven is filled with citizens whose ancestors once hailed from all corners of the globe, bringing with them their many and varied religious beliefs. Take a short walk down almost any street in the Prayer District and you will find a shrine, church or cathedral to any kind of deity you could imagine. Freedom of religion is just as important as any other of the many freedoms found in this city. A person is free to worship any religion they choose as long as that religion follows the one simple rule: that religion shall not bring harm to the city or it’s citizens. Any deity that is not connected to the Free Lady in some way has become part of the collective known as The Old Gods, even if a deity has been known for less time than the Free Lady herself. While the majority of the population worships the Free Lady or some aspect of her, it is not uncommon for a citizen to also worship another god or two, even in secret. This could be the result of family traditions, desperation, peer pressure, greed or any number of reasons. The sheer number of different religions contained in the Prayer District is staggering, but here is a small sample of some of the more well known deities. Feel free to come up with your own to add to the list.
- Zarathos: God of Fiery Vengeance. This God is often depicted as a person clad all in black with a flaming skull for a head. Zarathos is most often worshipped when a person is wronged by another. It is rumored that this church summons demons from the Infinite Hells to carry out its mission of vengeance, binding them to willing worshippers. This rumor has never been proven, however.
- Krom-Gar: God of Strength. This God is often depicted as a massive, well muscled warrior of any race, which always carries an almost comically oversized weapon. Krom-Gar is most often worshipped by those who value strength and the ability to do battle above all other things. More than any other church, followers of Krom-Gar are prone to starting street brawls with other churches to prove their superiority. They have been in trouble with the Law many times and are on the verge of losing their status as a legal church within the walls of Freehaven.
- Squidulon The Many Tentacled: God of Madness and Death. This God is often depicted as a dark green monstrosity that has tentacles sprouting from most of its body. Squidulon the Many Tentacled is worshipped by those who are a bit less than sane and those who have an obsession with death. This church provides funding for Seacliff Manor, the city’s largest asylum. Several people speculate that this funding is the biggest reason that this church is allowed to operate within Freehaven’s walls.
- Solarius: God of the Dawn, Lord of Light. This God is often depicted as a being made purely of light, and sometimes depicted as a beautiful man or woman clad in shining armor polished to a mirror like finish, with feathery wings sprouting from their back, wielding a blade of pure light. Solarius is worshipped by those who find comfort in the light of the sun, who value good and pure things above all else, and those who fear the things that happen in the night. This is a well respected church that wields much authority in the Prayer District.
- Elysia Silverhand: God of Wealth and Luck. This God is often depicted as a beautiful woman with shining silver locks who always carries a pair of dice in one hand. Elysia Silverhand is often called “Lady Luck” by many and is worshipped by those who are involved in commerce, such as merchants, or those who simply wish to aquire wealth, such as thieves. The church owns a number of private banks and gaming halls within the city.